Tuesday, September 6, 2011

No Shame

Today was a long and hectic day.  When things are routine and calm, it's easy for me to stick to the plan.  Although I've gotten better at dealing with it, I used to always say that I hate change.  I like the familiar and the comfortable.  I like predictability.

Today was, in a word, haywire.  Got halfway through this morning's workout before I had to reluctantly postpone finishing it.  Didn't get to lunch, held out on dinner for after my workout.  By the time it was even remotely possible, it was 8pm and I was weary.

"Two cookies," that's what I thought to myself.  Just for the energy, just for the boost a little "snack" could give me.  "And maybe a little cheese, too."  I'll track it.  It's okay because I'll track it.  That's what I wanted to tell myself.

And when someone else said, "Maybe you should leave that workout for tomorrow," I wanted to believe it, too.  But I didn't.  The problem with trying to fib to yourself is you always know you're fibbing.

I got angry at myself for it.  In a book I'm reading, it defines and explains a difference between guilt and shame.  Guilt has a use and a point- it is the feeling that tell us, "Perhaps I should have/should not have done that."  It tells us that bury it as we may, there is something more deep down.

Shame is a different story, and a pointless one.  Shame is self-hate, shame is beating ourselves up.  Shame isn't noticing or acknowledging that we screwed up, it is agonizing over it.

I personally don't think that anything positive can come from shame.  I have made a hard effort to stay positive on this journey- to think more about where I want to go and what I have done, and less on what I "should" have or didn't.

When I look in the mirror, I see my flaws but I try to focus on the improvements.

Tonight I got angry, which I would have said is a "negative" emotion.  I got angry at myself for thinking about cookies and making excuses, though.  All I could think was, "If I fall one day, let it be because I could not take one more step.  Let it be, even, because I freaked out and lost my head and binged out.  But do not let it be because I just don't feel like making the effort.  Do not let it be because I am telling myself that I just don't "care enough" to push on tonight."

I turned the DVD player back on and it had saved at my last spot, about halfway in.  But I was distracted then, so I started it over.  I was tired.  But I pushed through, and it felt good.  It felt right.  I needed the anger, and I needed that, too.

This journey matters to me.  How I feel about myself... being proud of myself at the end of the day, those things matter.  The cookies and the tiredness mean nothing beside them.  They were distractions, but I wouldn't allow them to become excuses.

Sometimes I wonder if it will always be a fight like this.  If I will always be a recovering "food addict" who must watch myself at all times and not allow myself to make the same bad decisions leading to the same bad consequences.  Tonight, I think if that's the case, then so be it.  I do not have to give in.  I do not have to fall down.

No more hate or doubt or shame.  Just keep trying.

Exercise: Sculpt 3/4 (resistance training; 40 minutes)
Eating: 1,150 calories; 4.5 quarts water

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations. You have developed some resolve that you did not have before. You have achieved some success that feels good and this provides a contrast for you to understand that you are getting better. I do think it gets easier but I don't think we will ever be truly free of the need to be careful. When we are at our goal weight surely we will not give that up for what we used to be. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate hearing your thoughts. :)