Yesterday was, of course, Halloween. I took a photo with my niece
and posted it on Facebook. I've mentioned that I'm fairly private,
so this journey isn't something I've talked about there at all. As these things go, there's a lot of people there I don't see very
often, and I got some kind comments about how I look right now.
It's strange... I know that I've lost weight. I
know that I feel better, and that when I look in the mirror, I feel
more positive about what I see there. But knowing
these things and realizing them aren't the same, I guess.
I looked at that photo for a long time. I kept
looking at it, and eventually I realized that it's because I don't see
myself as "her". Our faces should be the most
familiar thing in the world to ourselves, but when I look at that
photo... I don't feel like it's me.
I haven't ever
touched upon this before, because it feels like no matter how I phrase
it, it comes off as "bragging" and that is the absolute last thing I
want. But... I do realize that I have been immensely lucky on this
journey so far. I know that this is work, that it didn't just "happen",
but reading blogs makes it crystal clear that our bodies are all so
different, and that there are people who work so hard and do not see
results that equal their efforts. I have lost pretty quickly, and I
wonder if that's part of the reason I feel so... disconnected from
where I am right now.
Shortly after I started this journey, I was sick
enough to go to the doctor. I remember that I had been working hard at this for a few weeks, had lost maybe 15 lbs, and felt good. I felt different, you know? My clothes were starting to be baggier, etc.
She
asked how much I weighed, and I lied and said something in the 190s. It sounded
better to me than slightly over 200, which is where I actually was. I
felt OK saying it, like I didn't feel OK saying the truth. I felt a bit proud of myself, because I was healthier than I had
been. And then she took out the blood pressure cuff, and it was the XL
size.
That little thing was an emotional blow to me.
She was very nice and didn't mention my weight at all,
but... well, that said a lot. Why do I share this slightly painful and
embarrassing story? Because... I actually am under 200 lbs now, I'm
not just pretending it. Because 190 slipped by, and then 180, and so
on, but somehow none of those numbers feel as "real" as that, as the day I reached the weight I said I was. And I wondered, does it match how I feel inside now?
The other day, I went to the grocery store to pick up
Halloween candy for the house. I felt the old, terrible urge to pick up something
for myself too, by which I mean something to secretly binge on. I
didn't. I bought my fruits and veggies and went to the car, and after I
buckled my seat belt I saw a very overweight woman across the lane... but back to this in a moment.
Last week, I was with someone and they made a comment about
someone's weight. It wasn't... overt, or vicious. If it had been I want to believe I would have said something. It was just "stating it" in a way, I
guess. But I can't remember someone saying anything like that in front
of me before, for the obvious reason. And it just made me so sad.
No one wants to be addicted to food any more than they "want" to have an alcohol or drug addiction. But some of us are, and we
struggle, and we damage our bodies and our self-esteems with it, and we may or may not be able to find the strength and
courage and willpower to fight it before it overcomes us in some way.
That's what I think about when I see others that are seriously
overweight. When I looked at this woman in the parking lot, and our
eyes met for a moment, I felt (whether this is accurate or not) the understanding of someone else struggling with the same thing. Because a handful of chips or the
occasional slice of cake don't bring you to that point. For the most
part, neither obesity or health are "incidental". They are the result
of daily choices we make, and have made.
Most of me is the same exact person inside that I was when
I weighed 240 lbs. The biggest difference is that I am really fighting my addiction now... but I am still an addict inside.
I have some stuff coming up, as I've mentioned, little goals to
motivate me. An event here, a trip there, etc. But I still find myself thinking, when can I
binge again? When those are over? And I just hope with everything in
me that I have the strength then to say no, that I will find new goals
and keep going. It's not "never", right now. It's "later",
which is certainly better than "now", but... it needs to be never, and
I'm not there yet. Will I be, one day?
I wonder when I will
feel like I'm a real "weight loser". Because right now, I can say
I've lost weight, but it still feels everyday like it might just be
temporary. When will I want to eat healthy more than I want to eat
comforting, addictive crap? When will I want to exercise more than not?
When will I look at a photo and recognize myself?
I don't know. Who/when? But I do believe that we
learn something by the asking, and by our attempts to figure it out. Every day, every
meal. I struggle, but I am fighting one day
at a time.
I ate well today. I'm still sick, and exercise-resting. I drank my water. I read, commented, and posted. I'm trying to be healthy, and trying to figure it out.
Don't give up. Never give up. Keep trying.
Great post KT. I think one of the sure signs of growth is recognizing things and the foundations for failing and doing something about it before they become reality again. The body image thing is at the root of anorexia and bulimia as well as a stumbling block in our recovery. Our mind can have a completely different vision of what we look like than what actually is the truth. Those neural pathways take a long time to reroute but we will do this and one of our greatest weapons is our online friends who not only share our struggles but who also truly understand what it takes to gain the victory. Don't stop blogging. I need your words and hope you benefit from mine.
ReplyDeleteI like this post KT. It is hard to see the new you when you're so use to the old you. I sometimes will stare at pictures to see the difference. Last night I had to go through my photo's and downsize some of them and I was showing Mike some of us a few years back and he said I was fat (and he didn't mean it mean, just stating a fact). I didn't see that back then, I was just bit. Now to see the difference ... WOW!!
ReplyDeleteYou keep sharing and telling and no it's not bragging, you've done so awesomely you have to share.
Take care and have a blessed day!!
This post came at a really opportune time for me, as you know. I kind of forgot that I am actually an addict. I keep thinking that I've "gotten better" but as this weekend proved, I most certainly have areas that I really need to focus on. I can't ever forget that this is a fight. If it seems to easy, or if it seems like habit, that probably means that I am letting things slip, or there are bigger issues moving beneath the surface. Thank you for the reminder that I'm not alone in this.
ReplyDelete