Saturday, August 27, 2011

The calm...

Well after my rash pronouncement last entry, I was super motivated to squeeze C25K in somehow, haha.  Dinner guests decided the weather is a little too worrisome for going out, so that was postponed and I decided to hit the pavement while the skies were still relatively clear.

I've read that Week 6 can be a bit tough for some reason.  Today's session was two 5-minute and one 8-minute jogs, broken up by two 3-minute walks.  After having to push through for 20 minutes last week I thought today might feel comparatively easy, but... nope.  I could tell things were a little "off" with me from the start, but the important thing is that I pushed through to the end.

Still, I'm trying to figure out why both of today's work-outs were rough.  It wasn't just mentally wanting to stop, which I've gotten better at dealing with...  It was partially physical too, where I just felt winded from very early on.  This morning I felt nauseous and a tiny bit dizzy for a spell too, in the 2-minute break between finishing cardio and starting ab work.  It wasn't anything serious, but it hasn't happened in quite a while.

I think it may be a combination of having less energy then usual, and my eating times being a little off.  I work out in the morning before I eat breakfast, which usually means it's been a while since I've eaten, but today I spent some time messing around online, reading blogs, etc. so it was later then usual.  I also try to wait until it's been two hours since I last ate to go jogging, but since I knocked it out early today, all I'd eaten is breakfast stuff.  Perhaps I just didn't have enough fuel in the tank, especially if right now my body needs a little extra.

Tomorrow is resistance training and to be honest, as weird as this is, I'm kind of looking forward to it.  The bands and the stretching are slower and more relaxing then the fairly frenetic (since that's kind of the point) pace of cardio.  Even though I did P90 during my last diet attempt (the month of January), I had farther to go to get in OK shape then.

This time, although I weighed 10 lbs more than when I started then, I had a bit of a base to build on and my fitness level was definitely stronger.  I'm able to push myself more now because I'm not struggling as much just to do it at all.  I think the work-outs have made noticeable differences in my body too, giving things a hint of definition, and it feels good and really helps motivate me to keep it up.

It's raining pretty hard already and last I checked, Irene was still hovering just a bit north of Virginia.  We'll see what happens late tonight/early tomorrow morning when the eye is supposed to hit the tri-state area.  Hope everyone on the east coast stays safe and dry, and that everyone on the journey finds the strength they need to accomplish everything they try to!

Exercise: Sweat 3/4 (cardio; 40 minutes); C25K Week 6, Session 1 (30ish minutes jogging/walking)
Eating: 1,206 calories; 5 quarts water

2 comments:

  1. I hope you are doing OK with the storm. Scary!


    Keep focused!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! We didn't get away totally unscathed, but could be much worse and I definitely am still focused. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate hearing your thoughts. :)