I struggled this week... though not in the way I used to, which is very strange to me.
I did not binge, I did not even really want to binge. I guess it has finally "clicked" for me right now that eating solves nothing. It only gives you two problems instead of fixing the one that triggered the urge to start.
I did not eat enough either, though. I had no appetite. This was a really emotional week for me because of an "anniversary" that fell on Wednesday... and I'll be honest, I was depressed and low-energy and focused mostly on that. I made myself eat things on the plan like usual, but did not perfectly follow it. I worked out every scheduled day, but it slipped to late "now or never" nighttime.
I feel guilty for this. I guess it's part of why I haven't posted, the other part being that I wasn't really in the right frame of mind (which on second thought is basically the same reason). I didn't do badly in the obvious way maybe, but I know I didn't do well, either.
I wrote in a post the other night that if I'm not giving it my best, then I ask What am I doing here? Well, self?
To be honest... I really struggle with how hard to be on myself about this. Part of me says that it could have been a lot worse, that I could have binged, that I could have skipped my workouts. But the other part says, thinking those thoughts never got you anywhere you wanted to go.
I did what I could; but perhaps not what I was fully capable of. I dealt with
some life stuff instead of journey stuff. I did not commit like I have.
But I did not eat my feelings, either- I felt them instead.
When is an excuse not an excuse; is it ever? When should we be kind to ourselves, and when harsh? How do we know if we need forgiveness or scolding to help us on our way?
I don't know. That's been my problem all week, is I don't know. I guess... I can recognize that it's good that I didn't binge, and a significant change, while also acknowledging that letting myself not eat enough isn't healthy and is counter-productive, at the same time.
This journey is such a transition, both physically and mentally. I am no longer the person I was, but I am not yet the person I aspire to be, either. I'm somewhere in the middle, and that has its own challenges- to not move backwards, while still trying to move forward.
In the end, I guess that's the only thing that really matters- moving forward. Finding my focus again, and getting the momentum ball rolling in the right direction.
I didn't binge because I knew in my heart it would only make me feel worse. But I also know that striving to be healthy makes me feel good and happy, and that's really, really important to remember.
I can do better. I will do better. Because that was then, and this is now- the best I can do now. This is a new week, a new story, a new chance to be my best, one choice at a time.
Up or down, good or bad... keep trying, right? Keep trying. The only way we can fail is if we let ourselves get out of the game.
Today:
Exercise: Rest
Eating: 947 calories; 5 quarts water
Thursday:
Exercise: Insanity, Day 20 (Plyometric Cardio Circuit)
Eating: 931 calories; 5 quarts water
Wednesday:
Exercise: Insanity, Day 19 (Cardio Power & Resistance)
Eating: 970 calories; 4.5 quarts water
Tuesday:
Exercise: Insanity, Day 18 (Cardio Recovery)
Eating: 923 calories; 5 quarts water
I think we have to be realistic with our expectations. This is life - cycles, ups/downs, ebb and flow. We have to keep our core values, our goals, our dreams with us and they carry us through times like you describe. You didn't binge because you kept these things in mind; same for the exercising. We are unrealistic if we think it will always be easy. Just plod on through; better days will come.
ReplyDeleteA new week. I'm sorry last week was bad but time to move on and this week will be good. One day at a time.
ReplyDeleteTake care and God Bless!!!