Sunday, October 23, 2011

Christmas Dress Countdown Challenge - Update 7


This is the place I come to be honest about losing weight.  In the spirit of that, I'm going to say that the above number terrifies me.  I feel... I don't know, dumb or ungrateful or just flat-out weird for saying that, because it's not like I tripped onto the scale and realized I lost 52 lbs one day.  This has been what I've actively worked for, every time I eat healthy foods, every time I drag myself kicking to workout.  But... all that said, it's true.

I think part of the reason I struggled last week was seeing 170.  That's the weight I met my husband at.  I felt pretty good there.  Going under that?  I don't know.  It's like... if Rapunzel could remember being taken to her tower.  From then on, she looks out to the farthest point she can see- a tree, a really big rock, some landmark, and she imagines herself back there.  How it will feel, and who she will be.

But the thing is, once she's out, and she's free... she gets there.  She climbs the tree, she touches the rock, and then she looks past it at the wide world beyond and realizes, This is as far as I could see.  So what the heck am I looking at, and where do I go from here?

This is a pretty goofy analogy, but I feel myself calming down a little, too.  I guess we can both only do the same thing, this analogous fairy tale Princess and I- take one step at a time.

Today I am no longer obese.  I am overweight instead.  And I went out and did something crazy to acknowledge that- I told people what I weighed.  Part of it was because I was proud.  A larger part of it was because it made me feel more accountable.  This isn't a "finish line", it's just a mile marker.  On this particular journey, I can go backwards or forwards; my choice.  As a result of my choices.

This is probably an ongoing conversation I'm going to have with myself, but for now let's get this update out before the deadline.  How this week went:

Calories/Water/Exercise: Once I recommitted, all good. 

Book: Finished "The Spark" for the most part now, because it's at the "plan" stage and I have my own.  I did find all the inspiration/motivation stuff pretty good and will probably reread it since it's both been a while and I'm kind of rebooting.

Consistency: Working on it.  Trying to be more consistent at being consistent...

Blogging/Support: I've finally mostly caught up on reading, now I need to do more commenting.  It's funny, when you're in the groove and you run out of blogs to read you're like, "Aww man, I need more blogs!"  When you've been out of the loop, it's more like, "Can't... read... any... faster", haha.

So that's about it.  One more week down, and hopefully a little closer to our goals.

I haven't said it in a while.  I need to say it, to read it, to believe it again:  Don't stop.  Don't give up.  Keep trying.

Keep trying.

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on being out of obesity! That is a great accomplishment. Be proud. Be happy. Be strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You have accomplished so much. What is your goal weight? I dont know how tall you are, but maybe you are getting close. I'm looking forward to you sharing the ongoing conversation with yourself, as I so enjoy your writing. I'm also interested in your method. Looks like you count calories and work out. So smart. Thanks for sharing your journey and I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my dear, you are doing so amazing. I love those numbers. One day for me, by New Years maybe...well maybe a bit later but not forever.
    Keep up the great work. Take care and have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is amazing..congrats!!! i am still considered obese. but i will look at your story as a inspiration that i can reach my goal and i will..thanks for the motivation;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay on your loss! 52 pounds so far! That's just great! And yes, don't stop and keep trying! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YEAH!!!!

    I know exactly what you mean. I still see my reflection in a mirror and don't recognize myself. I'm smaller than I've ever been, post-offspring. I feel foreign in my own body.

    This DOESN'T mean I'm willing to go back to obese, though! Never, ever, ever again.

    Wonderful work, KT - and do, DO Keep Going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Losing is hard, but figuring out how to keep it off forever is even harder. Congrats on being no longer obese!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No longer obeses, how I long to be there.... Congrats to you!! I've lost about the same as you & have a ton more to go but I will get there & l like you, probably question what to do next:-) The answer is easy though, you either continue to lose or maintain cause really, in the grand scheme, it's all there is cause you definitely don't want to regain!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate hearing your thoughts. :)